When it comes to ensuring productivity in all aspects of a corporation, many factors can make a difference. Recently, Navistar’s manufacturing leaders have been working to implement practices that create positive environments for their teams.
According to an article in the Harvard Business Review, there are three major reasons why positivity benefits a company: it boosts overall positive emotions, helps buffer against negative events and attracts and bolsters employees.
“As a company, we are striving to implement positive teams through leadership, culture, small steps and deliberate practice with feedback,” said Mark Hernandez, senior vice president, Global Manufacturing.
Mark added that his team is motivated to develop a culture in our plants that reflects positive habits and mindsets including:
- Caring and being interested in colleagues as friends
- Providing support including offering kindness and compassion when others are struggling
- Avoiding blame and forgiving mistakes
- Inspiring one another
- Emphasizing the meaningfulness of work
- Treating one another with respect, gratitude, trust and integrity
“We are looking to create an environment where everyone wants to work – and people are excited to see their colleagues when they walk through the door every day,” he added. “We spend so much of our life working that we need to make our facilities places that shine with positivity.”
Jeff Webb, vice president, Manufacturing and manager, Springfield Assembly Plant, noted how positive teamwork has made a big impact on production in Springfield.
“Despite significant obstacles, we made big improvements in Springfield before our July break,” said Jeff. “I’m seeing a positive change in mindset and groups working together to solve problems and make good decisions.”
As an individual, positivity in the workplace can directly impact us all and make us more productive for several reasons:
- People are drawn to and want to help those who share positivity
- It avoids wasting time complaining
- Keeps energy high
- Builds teamwork
- Determines and builds confidence
- Solves problems without making them
- Helps you make good decisions
“When we come to work every day, we are all making a choice to add positivity to the workplace – or not. Negative attitudes can be toxic, so it’s my hope that we get to a place where all employees are coming to work happy and with a goal to support and inspire one another,” said Mark.